DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: solaris 8.0 swap space

Hybrid View

Unhappy

hello

We recently got a new solaris machine i would like to know the amount of swap space to be used...for installing oracle 8.0.5 the real memory is 4G but what should be the amount of swap space....when i was on redhat linux and the real memory was 256M i used to set the swap space to 512M i.e twice the size of real memory however now the real meory itself being 4G........what should be the swap space......?

regards
    hrishy

If it is a production machine, I have been told twice to three times as much as physical. This allows you to have a buffer room, if you have a process go wild and eat up memory, which can lead to the system panicing.

Talking

Hi

Its a test environment with two hard disks 17G and 18G and real memory of 4G according to your sugesstion if i use a swap space of 8G then how do i set this swap space up ??
    4G on one hard disk and 4G on another hard disk or all 8G on one hard disk itself??

regards
    hrishy

Hi,

According to the 8.0.5 Installation manual (Requirements and Features - Page 1-3 - Table 1-1) The requirement for swap space is :

'In General, three times the amount of RAM is recommended. In systems with large amounts of RAM (more than 1Gb) this can be reduced to two times the amount of RAM or less.'

To the letter of the law this means you need 8Gb... however, as this is a test machine I would start with less and if you see problems then increase.

Later versions of Oracle (8.1.7) recommend twice RAM or 400Mb which ever is the greater....

Cheers
    Moff.