DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: At which point do I start looking.....

I am trying to set up a tentative schedule for the "training full time" migration to a "training part time/job search part time" schedule. I have yet to take any tests but am allocating 2-3 months for each of the five.

Assume I train and test based upon the hierarchy established by Oracle and this is the only knowledge I have (which thankfully it won't but disregard that)-----at what point would I have enough "knowledge" to begin pursuing employment as an entry level DBA (John covers ears to drown out the screams), developer, database babysitter, or other similar starting position?

I understand that all topics contained in the five tests are relevant to a typical DBA role but other more basic Oracle employement opportunities may not require the advanced skills? (This question assumes that each test builds on the next I suppose)

Any input is greatly appreciated
    John
    Have any advice for a DBA-in-training? Any links that helped you better understand Oracle? General items of Oracle interest? Please send them here:

jforacle@yahoo.com

Thanks!

John (Cincy, OH)

Thumbs up

If I may quote the great John Blutarski,..ahem.."My advice to you is to start drinking heavily" For a better and more complete understanding of RDBMS in general and Oracle in particular I would recommend a steady diet of hallucinogens. This can (and should) be mixed with drinking, especially during the first two exams.

On a more serious note, I would start pounding the pavement now, or after you get the first exam under your belt. That is exactly what I did, I was persistent without being a pain in the arse. That initiative paid off because I managed to get in the DB department at my company. It took a lot of work and I came in as a trainee but all I wanted to do was work with Oracle, which has materialized in spades.

So start getting to meet people, let them see your face, offer to intern, wax your managers car. I would also install Oracle at home as a practice tool, you will need a sandbox to play in. Learn some Unix as well.

Hope this helps, if not there is always hallucinogens .
    MH

I have been on two interviews for Junior DBA positions. On both occassions I got through the telephone stage of the interview. At my first face to face interview they were interested to know what I have accomplished and how I would handle certain crisis stuations.

I failed to get the job on both occassions. Please note that a junior DBA is required to have quite a lot of experience. Just having qualifications and being able to create accounts, drop users etc and do the basics won't land you a job. The guys who interviewed me on both occassions were senior DBA.

In their own words they want someone who will hit the ground running, not someone who will run to then @ every opportunity to seek help. You ned to know your stuff.

A junior DBA position is only junior in word....

Originally posted by drain surgeon
    In their own words they want someone who will hit the ground running, not someone who will run to then @ every opportunity to seek help. You ned to know your stuff.
    That's unfortunate. I don't hire Jr. DBA's that way. I expect a Jr. DBA to have some knowlege of Oracle and be able to take direction. Part of my job as a Sr./Lead DBA is to pass on the knowlege and get everybody up to speed at the appropriate pace. Once you do things the right way, we will start you of jogging...
    Jeff Hunter

Mr. Hunter,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the post question as well.

Thanks
    Have any advice for a DBA-in-training? Any links that helped you better understand Oracle? General items of Oracle interest? Please send them here:

jforacle@yahoo.com

Thanks!

John (Cincy, OH)

As long as you are looking for a job, why not look for something in your intended field. If I were in your situation, I would look for an entry-level job in the IT field in a shop that has a group of Oracle DBAs. Once in, you should start to mingle with the DBAs and casually mention to the DBA manager or Sr. DBA that you are going for your OCP and where you are in the process. Eventually, you will move up to the position you desire.
    Jeff Hunter