DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Text Search ??

We are using database version 8.1.6 on NT 4. I am not aware of or do not know how to get Text serach without giving Field name. I mean in SELECT statement WHERE condition Like ' ' gives me Range search. But is it possible to Give only SEARCH TEXT and table name and will get exact record irrespective of Fields probably with Function.

Thanks & Regards
    Shailesh

Hmm, sounds like you are moving down the INTERMEDIA text indexing path. You can concatinate multiple colums into a single intermedia index. Then perform a 'WITHIN' select statment, to return all records which contain the criteria.

Cheers
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Originally posted by grjohnson
    Hmm, sounds like you are moving down the INTERMEDIA text indexing path. You can concatinate multiple colums into a single intermedia index. Then perform a 'WITHIN' select statment, to return all records which contain the criteria.

Cheers
    Yes, you are right, Even I feel INTERMEDIA will help me in this. I don't have any Idea about InterMedia, can anybody help me in this.

Thanks & Regards
    Shailesh

Research this path FULLY, we found alot issues with intermedia. In regard to indexing, you have to set up DBMS_JOB (oracle recommend NOT using ctxsys, increases index fragmentation.. (adifferent fragmentation to normal indexes)) to SYNC and OPTIMIZE your indexes periodically.

You have to tell Oracle when to index. You must consider two MAJOR factors before taking this path.

a). How many columns are you looking to index, what is the volume.

b). Is the system more OLTP or DSS.

Cheers,
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Originally posted by grjohnson
    Research this path FULLY, we found alot issues with intermedia. In regard to indexing, you have to set up DBMS_JOB (oracle recommend NOT using ctxsys, increases index fragmentation.. (adifferent fragmentation to normal indexes)) to SYNC and OPTIMIZE your indexes periodically.

You have to tell Oracle when to index. You must consider two MAJOR factors before taking this path.

a). How many columns are you looking to index, what is the volume.

b). Is the system more OLTP or DSS.

Cheers,
    hint is enough for me. Thanks grjohnson for valuable information.

Regards
    Shailesh