DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Windos problem.

Windows Problem!

I know it a not Oracle question, but need your help real bad!

On my windows machine crashed this morning. Now when restart it, looks like it startup fine, but it drops me to DOS prompt.There isn't just DOS window anymore, it's as if I booted-up in MS-DOS mode. The whole screen goes black with a c: prompt on the screen.

My question is, how can I start my desktop or my regular windows for the DOS prompt?

I hven't change anything that could couse this problem. Any idea on fixing this problem and also what are the permanent solution to this.

Thanks

Try chaning the directory to c:\windows (or wherever your windows OS is located) and typing win at the C prompt

c:\windows> win

This hopefully will bring up windows desktop.

-amar

or just type EXIT at the prompt.

You have mentioned windows. But what is the release name you are running. Win98/Win2000/WinNT/WinMe/WinXP ???????

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Sorry :-(

it is Windows98....

Thanks

If you are desperate, reinstall windows in a different directory and reinstall all application, this way you preserve your data. From experience you can spend hours trying to troubleshoot a problem only to reload the OS in the end. Cut your losses in none of the suggestions work and you can't find a fix @ Microsoft