I created a link from 817 to 805. The remote global_name has db_domain as WORLD;however, the local one(v. 817) db_domain is null. tnsping works fine but the link failed to do a simple desc on a table. Global_name is set to TRUE on both databases. The remote tnsnames entry is
Before making new changes, I did some connection testing to the remote database such as sqlplus connection and it seemed to work fine. I don't think we need to change anything in tnsnames.ora on the remote database. Are there any other verifications we can do to clarify the problem? It seems like Oracle database link process got confused.
On local host, PSDEV8:
$ sqlplus sysadm/peanut@pstest
SQL*Plus: Release 188.8.131.52.0 - Production on Tue Aug 28 15:14:40 2001
(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 184.108.40.206.2 - Production
With the Partitioning and Objects options
PL/SQL Release 220.127.116.11.1 - Production
You would want to set the GLOBAL_NAMES=False, if you are giving your link a name. On the other hand GLOBAL_NAMES=TRUE would require the link name to be the same as the DB name for which the link was created.
I did created a entry for the remote db, PSTEST, on my local machine. Like I said earlier, I did sqlplus sysadm/sysadm@pstest and it worked fine. tnsping pstest worked. I tried naming my link as both PSTEST and PSTEST.WORLD on different time but it still failed. This shouldn't be that difficult to do but maybe I missed something trivial. I have created lots of links in the past but haven't come across this one.