DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Unix vol group backup

Question

I'm a bit unclear on UNIX VOLUME GROUP BACKUP.

QUES: During a Unix voulme group backup on AIX,
    would the database still be opened for normal activities? Or should the database be opened for normal activities?

[Edited by Tee on 08-27-2001 at 11:24 AM]

The database should not be backed up using a regular OS backup. Sure, the database can be up during a backup, but you must use a hot-backup mehtodology. See http://dbasupport.com/oracle/scripts...ry/Hot_Backup/ for various examples.
    Jeff Hunter

Question

Thanks. In a nutshell, can you briefly explain what constitute a unix VOLUME GROUP BACKUP?

I think I'm confusing my self.

I would guess that a VOLUME GROUP BACKUP is an OS level backup of the volume or filesystem.
    Jeff Hunter

Hello,

If you will backup a VG in which you have Oracle data file, you have to shutdown you DB (in order to have a clean Backup file).

Sofiane
    Sofiane

I think I would agree more with Sofiane. What do you think marist89?

Not necessarily. You can perform a hot backup with a combination of OS and Oracle commands. Sure, the safest way is with the database shut down, but who can shutdown their server for an hour?
    Jeff Hunter

At work (when I had a job) we had ScoUnix Servers running 8i using BackUPEdge backup software, and NT4 Servers running 8i and using Veritas Backup Exec. We did a hotbackup on the Unix servers every night. The Backup edge software would lock the database during backup preventing other clients from getting access. In the end we had to shutdown the database during hotbackup.

Hotbackup is good if you run a 24/7 operation and cant afford to take the database offline.

But its good to periodically take a cold backup.

Originally posted by drain surgeon

But its good to periodically take a cold backup.
    I haven't taken a cold backup on a production server in over three years. But then again, my databases only come less than once a year.
    Jeff Hunter