DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: All I have is a cold backup

Question

How do I turn a set of backed up files (.CTL, .DBF, .LOG) into a running db? The files come from a customer, so I need to install them on a new machine.
    In other words can you backup a database then restore it to a new database? Do you need to create the new db first?
    Regards

Hi!
    You also need to have the init.ora file to start the database.
    Now if you already have a instanace running with the same name then you have to chnage the name of the database by recreating the control file and making changes in the init.ora file.
    If the instance is new to the system then restore everyfile in the respective directory as in the original server and start the database.
    There Nothing You cannot Do, The problem is HOW.

thanks Sudip, but i do not quite understand.
    Could you please give me a 1 2 3 list of the steps i need to take?
    My server has NOTHING is common with my customer's server, so everything will start from the very beginning.
    I prefer to use a new name for the database.
    Regards

Ok!
    1)First of all ensure that you have the same version of ORacle s/w as of yr client, and the same O/S type using the same O/S block size.
    2) If version is same then place the control file , init.ora file, datafiles and redo log files in the same directory structure as ther ein the client site.
    3) Change the ORACLE_SID parameter mentioning the Oracle sid.
    4) Try starting the server.

There Nothing You cannot Do, The problem is HOW.

Hi Sudip, I had a good look in the init.ora ora file but could not find any ORACLE_SID parameter. I take it you mean DB_NAME. Am I correct in thinking this.

Drain Surgeon