DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Why Oracle doesn't support cascade update?

Hi all.
    MS SQL Server 2000 supports cascade update .
    Why oracle doesn't support it?
    is there theoritical problem with oracle table structures?
    I know it can do with triggers but it is hard in many relation database and it is better that exists ON UPDATE CASCADE like ON DELETE CASCADE in CREATE TABLE ,ALTER TABLE .

Best Regards.

Now mind you, I am all in favor of the database being as flexible as possible. Therfore, it pains me some to find myself on the other side of this argument. I am there mainly because *you should never do this*. This tells me that you are updating a PK and want the database to very nicely update a million rows in a dozen other tables for you. There is a fundamental problem there. IMHO, you should avoid meaninful keys at all costs...for this very reason. Use surrogate keys and your life will be much simpler and your database will thank you.

- Chris

Originally posted by chrisrlong
    Now mind you, I am all in favor of the database being as flexible as possible. Therfore, it pains me some to find myself on the other side of this argument. I am there mainly because *you should never do this*. This tells me that you are updating a PK and want the database to very nicely update a million rows in a dozen other tables for you. There is a fundamental problem there. IMHO, you should avoid meaninful keys at all costs...for this very reason. Use surrogate keys and your life will be much simpler and your database will thank you.

- Chris
    I absolutely agree with Chris

Sudip
    There Nothing You cannot Do, The problem is HOW.

Hi friends.
    However Oracle can implement CASCADE UPDATE as an optional feature. everybody can use this option or use surrogate keys depend on database design.

Best Regards.

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    i think u can write procedures and make use of the trigger feature to
    perform cascade update right? wouldnt it serve the same purpose?
    ngwh,
    Singapore.

Hi ngwh.
    You are right.
    But why with procedures&triggers , and no automaticaly by DB server?
    I think CASCADE UPDATE is like DROP COLUMN , that oracle finally implement it in 8i.

Best Regards.