DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Universal installer on Solaris

Question

I need some guidline to know how can I use Oracle 8i Universal installer GUI and after that Oracle Database Configuration Assistant GUI on Solaris System, I mean for example :

1. Do I need to be in Solaris machine and run X Windows then mount Oracle CD
    2. What the name of these GUI in Solaris
    3. Do I need to configure Java, JVM, Display command in solaris env
    4. Can I do it by telnet

Please shed some light

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Originally posted by farrokhp
    1. Do I need to be in Solaris machine and run X Windows then mount Oracle CD
    The CD image has to be mounted somewhere on the server you wish to install. It can be NFS mounted from either disk or another CD-ROM. Personally, I copy all my CD's to one location, NFS mount that filesystem to where ever I want to install, and Install from disk.

2. What the name of these GUI in Solaris
    You will find runInstaller somewhere on the first Disk. It will setup the Java environment and start the GUI.

3. Do I need to configure Java, JVM, Display command in solaris env
    Java, No. DISPLAY, yes.

4. Can I do it by telnet
    Sure, just make sure your DISPLAY is set correctly and you have an Xserver running on your host.
    Jeff Hunter

Hi,

Before you start to run the Installer make sure you follow all the pre-installation and post-installation instruction in the Oracle Installation manual for Solaris such as the Oracle User and the oinstall group setup and the access right. Last time it take me 2 weeks to finish the installation.

Good luck.