DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: sever preference

We are running a 8i DSS database and looking to upgrade our server. We are looking at qoutes for Compaq, Sun, and IBM. Does anyone have any reason why one it better that the others?

Oh boy, here we go again.

My $.02.

Compaq: Their Alpha boxes are good machines, but they are going away in the near future. Their Intel boxes are pretty good, but they like to make you swap boxes when you go to upgrade.

Sun: All hail mighty Sun. Others have a different opinion, but I still say they are the best boxes out there.

IBM: They have good AIX boxes. I'd love to get my hands on some SP2's. Their Intel boxes are decent, but I think pricey.

Don't even get us started on your OS choice. I think the general concensus is:
    NT - good for workgroups and smaller dbs (< 100G)
    Unix - good for enterprise dbs & small DSS (100G - 1TB)
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    Sun: All hail mighty Sun. Others have a different opinion, but I still say they are the best boxes out there.
    Very stable, would be my first choice!!! Windows (be ready to have some one sitting next to it looking for all kind of security breaches), would be my choice of desperate survival. No offence just the truth.

Peace,
    Sam

Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

I prefer unix, primarily Solaris on Sun equipment. But, you are in trouble, if you or your administrator does not have enough experience for the OS(s) you are running. I some cases, it might be better to go with an OS your shop can support.