DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Create Database from Export dump

Hello Guys:
    I have a system up and running. A base system with default Tablespaces and so on IBM/RS6000 AIX machine. No new schemas are created and populated. But fully configured and set aside. The Oracle version is 817.. I did an export of the entire database and it is only 1.5MB..
    I want to be able to create another instance, say "test" from this export. What are the sequence of steps to follow so that I dont spoil the existing one..
    Thanks ST
    ---

Create a testing instance using dbassist. Then do a full import into the testing using the previous exp.dmp .

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

So in the instance that I create with dbassist, I have to create the tablespaces and so on perfectly or is it OK..
    What about the layout. I am using OFA.
    /u01 through /u04 and so on..
    Thanks ST

You don't have to have the table spaces created on the exact volumes. It can be as you want. Since you follow the OFA your tablespace name would follow the instance name and there shouldn't be any confusion(s). Then import the db

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

what about pfile, init.ora parameters, when do you set up the sid and so on?? Will this be part of dbassist or should i have an environment file in place.. I am doing this on the same machine.. Thanks, ST

Well if you are doing imp full=y you need the file system same as the server where you exported from since imp will create the tablespace with datafile path same as the original server

But if you have the tablespaces created already and if you export with ignore=Y.

http://www.oradoc.com/ora816/server....ch02.htm#25141

You would not be able to use the same sid. The dbassist would create all those files for you.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam