DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Changing GID on ORACLE_HOME

Question

I would like to change the GID for the group owner of ORACLE_HOME to make it compatible with the NIS setup for the rest of the network. I know that on 8.1.6 the GID is compiled into the software at installation time but is there any way to change it?

This operating system is solaris 2.6 and I have Oracle 8.16 and 7.3.4 on the same box. Both sets of GIDs need to be changed

Do you have a test system? if so try changing the GID on that and check. Before you change your GID, shutdown all your instance on the testsystem, then change the GID and then restart it. I'm quiet sure that it should not be causing any problems. One word of caution, have the db backed up, before you start playing with the database.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Originally posted by sambavan
    Do you have a test system? if so try changing the GID on that and check. Before you change your GID, shutdown all your instance on the testsystem, then change the GID and then restart it. I'm quiet sure that it should not be causing any problems. One word of caution, have the db backed up, before you start playing with the database.

Sam
    Do you think you would have to relink the executables also? I had lots of fuzzy thoughts on this, but couldn't come to a formidable solution...
    Jeff Hunter

I wouldn't play right away with my production system. Instead I would try first with my test system the following things. Have a full backup of your db, before you start playing with.

Jeff you are right. There are a number of caveats one has to be carefull of when playing with the gid/uid. I hope the Note 1065768.6, Note:50507.1 from the metalink would help you to undestand things better.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Looks like the oracle 7.3.4 change went ok without relinking. Still working on the 8.1.6

thanks for the advice guys

For the records, if you don't mind could you please post the steps that you did, and the problems that you encounterd and how you solved them on this thread.

Not a must, just a request

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam