DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Invalid Field Name ORA-00904:Invalid Column Name

Hybrid View

!!Urgent Help !!

I am using an application with Delphi Front end and Oracle 8i back end.
    I am gettig an error when i click on some particular form, and this error is random. I am able to work on this form , but sometimes i am getting this error. i am using BDE5.1 and i updated the patch also.

error is :

INVALID FIELD NAME
    ORA-00904:INVALID COLUMN NAME

THIS ERROR IS COMMING IN A BOX WITH AND 'OK' BUTTON

I need urgent help reagrding this

well, it's quite explicit ... if you get this error, it's because you try to use an invalid column name (in a select, insert, update or delete statement)

Thanks for the reply.

In this case the error is random. i am using the same form every time. sometimes i get this error , most of the time i am able to work. And this is when i click on the form. If i am accessing an invalid field, it should come everytime.

waiting for the reply

I have seen this error occur sometimes depending on what type of user log ins to the application. Basically is one of the columns on the form generated by using a procedure of some sort. When I got the error one of the columns ws filled in by running a stored procedure when the form opened. The stored procedure is run as follows for example. cas.getid. Now when this process was run as the database owner it worked. However when this was run as a user it gave me th invalid column name error. It interpreted this procedure as a column in a table with CAS being the table name and GETID being the column.

The fix is that you put the symbol ~ infront of the proc name so that it reads as ~cas.getid , for example. This will then distinguish the procedure as a proc rather than a table column.

Hope this helps