DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Connection pooling & MTS

Hi Guys,

We have a web application which return in html & perl. Now we are planig to re-build the application in 9iAS environment.

Database:Oracle 8.1.6
    Operating System:Hp unix 11.x
    Database modeedicater server.

Programmers want to re-build this web application by using JSP.

In the present Application every time user request data, Code is connecting and retrieving the data and disconnecting.
    Now they want to use connection pooling to retrieve the data.
    Every time they don't want to connect the database, They want to open always 30 connections in connection pool and they want to use for data retrieving.

Is it nessasary to make databases into MTS mode to use connection pooling. If anybody using connection pooling then please give some information and steps. I am in little bit confusion on this connection pooling stuff.

Any suggestion will help me. Thanks.
    sree

Yup, MTS is mandatory. I setup connection multiplexing and pooling with http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/..._id=2077721.6.
    Jeff Hunter

Are you talking about java (JDBC) connection pooling or oracle connection pooling?

-amar

Hi Amar,

Again you confused me! Still now i am assuming that we are going to use jdbc connection pooling, What is the difference between oracle connection pooling and jdbc connection pooling.

Hi marist89,

The link is not working, You told me that MTS is mandatory,
    So can i use connection pooling(JDBC) with my present
    mode(Dedicated Server).

If anybody have a procedure or script or steps how to create a connection pool and how to check it, Then please give me.
    Thanks, You guys are giving me very good information.
    sree

In the future you have to mention the connection pooling area. I was under the impression that you were talking about the oracle connection pooling. Since this being an oracle admin forum, we would be thinking more about the oracle connection pooling.

Amar, good point you raised Oracle networking also does connection pooling. eg MTS. What Jeff mentioned is for Oracle connection pooling I beleive.

I'm v.primitive with java and would leave that to be answered by an java exprt. I think that this will be better answered on the development forum.

In case if you decide to post there, please close this one and provide a reference link to this thread.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

I am also interested in this. Jeff, can you display that link's content's here? I can't get into the metalink unfortunately. No subscription yet.

Thx

Argh! It was the damn dot at the end of the link that threw it off... The real link is http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...p_id=2077721.6

The content is too large to post here.

Yes, I was talking about Connection pooling via Connection manager. Connection pooling is a function of both connection manager and configuring your dispatchers to accept pooled connections. There is also a concept called multiplexing (which is probably what you want anyway) that also has to be implemented via connection manager and MTS.
    Jeff Hunter