DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New Installation Oracle 8.1.7 for Solaris 8 for Intel can not run SQLPLUS

Unhappy

1. sqlplus cannot run. after install Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 8 for Intel. Oracle user and Group dba, oninstall had been setup.
    In the process of Oracle Installation got one file can not copy error. I just pass OCP and I always run Oracle in Windows NT and this is first time in Solaris. Any help is appreciated....

2. If I want to install Oracle again, which way is better. Uninstall first or remove all the files relate to Oracle setup. I am a new born in Solaris 8.

Thank you very much in advance.

That is correct. First use the installer's uninstall opetion, uninstall all the packages, then go to the point $ORACLE_BASE

issue rm -rf * would recursively delete all the files. But be aware the you do not want to give this command if you have other than oracle installed under the oracle base directory. Like other oracle products like oas/ias and etc.

On such case go to the appropriate directory and start removing files as said above. Then do a fresh install of oracle again.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

sambavan, Thank you very much for your help.
    Finally I succesful install Oracle. but I still have 3 couple problems in the following:

1. In the installation the Create Database Assistance Step Fail. the error is Oracle Not Available.
    2. startup nomount pfile=initorcl.ora is fail and get error
    ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel.
    but if I run as: startup nomount
    it works fine. but when I issue ALTER DATABASE MOUNT,
    I got error db_name is 'orcl' not the 'world'
    3. If I change the db_name in the initorcl.ora from 'orcl' to 'world' then I can ALTER DATABASE MOUNT and ALTER DATABASE OPEN.
    4. When I use the data base configuration assistance to create the database name 'World' the first name I got error "Oracle Not Available", then I have went to Startup the Instance first then run the dbassist it create the database name "world" for me.

Why if I do not specific the PFILE= it works. and why I need to change the db_name from 'orcl' to world.

Thank you very much for any comments.

Could you tell me in detail what you were trying to do?
    1. What was the db_name you were trying to create in step 1?

2. Like were you changing the initworld.ora to initorcl.ora or you had created this initorcl.ora through the dbassistant?

3. Check what you have mentioned in the ORACLE_SID in your env?

4. Try opening the dbassit and choose the delete/update option and see how many instances are getting listed underneath the selection box?

5. Check to see /var/opt/oracle/oratab to see how many instances have been listed?

Need more information on the above ...

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Post ORACLE 8.1.7 FOR SOLARIS ON INTEL

WHERE DID YOU DOWNLOAD THAT VERSION OF ORACLE 8.1.7 FOR SOLARIS ON INTEL AT?? I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND IT ON ORACLE WEBSITE??

THANKS

TIM

oscar,
    did you bought ORACLE 817 for Solaris INTEL?

Anton V,

The answer to your question can be found under this thread:

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=14765

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Tim,
    I order the Oracle 8.1.7 for Solaris Intel from Oracle.

Sam,

Thaks again. Let me tell you the whole story. After installation the Oracle product, the Installer continous to did the option step, the first one is the Net8 Configuration Assistant it complete success. the 2nd step is the Data Base Configuration Assistant it did not success due to Oracle Not Available. But Oracle sad this is the Optional Step. So I went into the Oracle use the svrmgrl to connect to oracle as Internal/Oracle then I run Startup nomount, it success, then I open another terminal and run the dbassist to create the database the global data base name is "world" , SID is "orcl" then the database created success. then I check into the oracle/admin/pfile,/udump, /cdump and oradata all the control file is created and also initorcl.ora is created in the /pfile but in there are 3 control files in the /oradata names as control01.ctl, control02.ctl and control03.ctl. Right now the interesting thing happend, if I use Startup nomount pfile=the initorcl.ora in the pfile folder then I got end-file-file communication chanell error, but if I use Starup nomount and I do not specific which init .ora file, it success and I can continue ALTER DATABASE OPEN, then I run the Show Parameter and v$parameter I found the control_files is not the 3 controlfiles as I mention before, it is another 2 controlfiles, they are in the /u02/oradata and then I found out these 2 control_files specific from another initorcl.ora this init is in the /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/dbs/initorcl.ora, this file is little difference from the other initorcl.ora, it only contains the db_name=orcl, but no instance_name and service_name entry and also before it can not MOUNT the database, until I change the db_name=orcl to db_name=world. and I also run the ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROFILES TO TRACE so I verify the contents in the trace file, I found the LOG FILE, DATA FILE all in the /oradata/world, but it did not use the initorcl.ora in the world/pfile, that is the whole story.
    Let me answer your question, 1. env show the ORACLE_SID=orcl, 2. the oratab not exist in the var/opt/oracle, so I did not know how many instances. 3. when I run dbassist again the Modify and Delete are disable, it means there is not any database available for Modify and Delete only the create database option is enable, I think it is rare. But it is very interesting I can use sqlplus or svrmgrl to do everything. I still do not know why I can not specific the initoracl.ora in the world/pfile and also use the control files specific in the pfile/initorcl.ora and also get error, but if I do not specific the initorcl.ora it automatic use the one in the oracle/product/8.1.7/dbs and use another set control files and also very funny I only got a set of DATA FILES and LOG FILES.
    and why that dbs/initorcl.ora do not include the instance_name and the service_name. but the other had instance_name=orcl and service_name=world.

May be I want to rename the pfile/initorcl.ora to pfile/initworld.ora and change the ORACLE_SID in the env from ORACLE_SID=orcl to ORACLE_SID=world. What you think, it is will fix that funny problem?

Thank you very much for your advise.

sambavan,

How are you, I hope you are not too busy. I got all the information for you, would you mind to give me some idea, what is going on?
    Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Looks like the service identifier (SID) name clash. Since the listerner would use the SID to connect to the instance, you would have to fix that one.

One way to fix this is wipe out all the instance file and try again.
    .../admin/SIDs
    .../oradata/SIDs
    $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/xxxSID.*

Then also do a search from the oratab file name and check to see if it exists.

One other question is did you get to execute to root.sh script that would create the oratab files after installation? If not you might want to execute that before you proceed with the next database creation using dbassist.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam