DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help

Hybrid View

Hi, All

I am a complete novice to installing Oracle 8i. I did a clean install of the Enterprise Edition on WIN2K, which, unfortunately, was not error free. I was unable to install the starter database (even after several attempts). The installation summary read: Installation completed successfully with some errors. I assume the errors refer to the starter database.

These are the errors I get now.
    1. When I try to use SQL*Plus: ora-12560: TNS: protocol adaptor error. I have used every combination of password available.

2. When I try to manually install the starter DB: DBCA-00016: unable to copy the seed database. Oracle Databse Configuration Assistant failed (failed)

3. And, this is a weird one, despite database installation failure I get what seems to be a 'ghost' of the database that I tried to create (global name, SID) remain in the Oracle Administration Assistant for Window NT window pain. So, when I try to delete it I get the: error deleting database ora-0205 (error in identifying control file).
    The image of the 'ghost' is gone, hovever, it is still in the system as I can't use that global name & SID again (name already exist errors)

There seems to be many issues from this installation. I would greatly appreciate any pointers on how to get my development environment up and running with out re-installation. Much appreciated.

My system configuration is a dual-boot environment with WIN98 (c:\ drive primary partition) on the primary master disk (HDD0), and WIN2K (D:\ drive primary partition) on the primary slave disk (HDD1). Both drives are formated as FAT 32.

aitai

I can help you with your first problem

the other I will leave for someone else

The first problem is caused by your listener not being started, go to your services and start the TNSListener service
    Don't be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic