DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installation problems on AIX ver 817

Hi: I installed oracle version 8.1.7 and also created the database. I was able to connect to sqlplus but it works only with the connect string user/pwd@tnsname. Why is that?
    Secondly I could not log into the database using svrmgrl. It asks for a pwd and I could not since this is a fresh install on a brand new IBM-AIX box. I do not know how to give that the o/s authentication. I thought by default I would get that.
    Thirdly, Since I have had a few more problems after a reboot and could not get over errors like ora-12547 TNS connect failed and so on, and some errors during installation (some make files or something which I had to ignore), I decided I will install again and instead of uninstalling I wiped out the folder where the software is /u01 along with the database. What are the problems I should face or I will?? Then since I cannot do much now, I re-installed oracle this time Custom Installation and my /tmp became full and I have to cancel the installation. If I have to resume my work, what are the mistakes that will uncover or how can I plan from scratch again.. We dont have a sysadmin on board and I am not a pro in AIX boxes.. My first time. Please advise soon..
    Thanks, ST

Originally posted by st2000
    Hi: I installed oracle version 8.1.7 and also created the database. I was able to connect to sqlplus but it works only with the connect string user/pwd@tnsname. Why is that?

I would check to make sure your environment variables are correct. Check $ORACLE_HOME, $ORACLE_SID, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and $PATH.

Secondly I could not log into the database using svrmgrl. It asks for a pwd and I could not since this is a fresh install on a brand new IBM-AIX box. I do not know how to give that the o/s authentication. I thought by default I would get that.

Check to make sure you are a member of the dba group.

Thirdly, Since I have had a few more problems after a reboot and could not get over errors like ora-12547 TNS connect failed and so on, and some errors during installation (some make files or something which I had to ignore), I decided I will install again and instead of uninstalling I wiped out the folder where the software is /u01 along with the database. What are the problems I should face or I will?? Then since I cannot do much now, I re-installed oracle this time Custom Installation and my /tmp became full and I have to cancel the installation. If I have to resume my work, what are the mistakes that will uncover or how can I plan from scratch again.. We dont have a sysadmin on board and I am not a pro in AIX boxes.. My first time. Please advise soon..
    Thanks, ST
    You definitely want to make sure the install goes without problems. The Install Guide will give you the minimum requirements of disk, temp, memory, etc. you need to install properly. Make sure the correct make, ar, and ld are in your path.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks Jeff..
    ________
    In the Oracle user env, I am missing LIBPATH, SHLIBPATH and TNS_ADMIN Path. What s the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and what s the setting?

Is the TNS_ADMIN to be set for avoiding the uid/pwd@tns
    ________
    Primary Group is oinstall and secondary is dba
    ________

You definitely want to make sure the install goes without problems. The Install Guide will give you the minimum requirements of disk, temp, memory, etc. you need to install properly. Make sure the correct make, ar, and ld are in your path.

/tmp : I shall make it to 400MB from 75MB
    Memory: about 2GB , so we are OK
    disk: about 50 GB, so we are OK
    What is correct make, ar and ld in path???

After coming out of the installation twice so far, if I delete the software folder /u01, is it OK.. I am not deinstalling but have wiped out using rm command.. Any potential problems since Oracle might write to so many system files and I do not have a chance to undo the same...Am I OK??

When I am re-installing, the installer recognised that the sid i used before exists and looks at upgrading/migration which is not the intent.. If I delete the /etc/oratab file, am I OK to avoid this problem of installer recognising the SID..

Should I go for Typical or Custom installation.. Am I OK with anything or any precautions required?

I shall redo the entire installation, but how can I make sure that I will not have the problems of make files and so on? Is it because 817 or is it the path settings??

As of yday, when the db existed I can login to db using sqlplus uid/pwd@tns.. I am unable to login as svrmgrl. why?
    It asks for a Password, but I did not set any.. First time using Svrmgrl.. How would I go for o/s authentication before creating the database?

Thanks, ST

Jeff: I am expecting your comments please..
    Thanks, ST

Originally posted by st2000
    Thanks Jeff..
    ________
    In the Oracle user env, I am missing LIBPATH, SHLIBPATH and TNS_ADMIN Path. What s the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and what s the setting? Is the TNS_ADMIN to be set for avoiding the uid/pwd@tns

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the path to search for libraries on Solaris. It may be SHLIB or LIBPATH on AIX, I'm not sure about that one. TNS_ADMIN is used to point to a networking environment, typically $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin. TNS_ADMIN has nothing to do with avoiding uid/pwd@tns.

What is correct make, ar and ld in path???

Sometimes a system might have one of the GNU or other tools installed and in your path. Make sure your make is supported by Oracle. The details are in the Install Guide.

New concerns:
    After coming out of the installation twice so far, if I delete the software folder /u01, is it OK.. I am not deinstalling but have wiped out using rm command.. Any potential problems since Oracle might write to so many system files and I do not have a chance to undo the same...Am I OK??

When I am re-installing, the installer recognised that the sid i used before exists and looks at upgrading/migration which is not the intent.. If I delete the /etc/oratab file, am I OK to avoid this problem of installer recognising the SID..

Yes, remove the oratab file and you can rm -rf the $ORACLE_BASE. There's also an oraInst.loc file in the same directory as the oratab file. This should be removed as well.

Should I go for Typical or Custom installation.. Am I OK with anything or any precautions required?

I always go Custom. That way I KNOW what is being installed.

I shall redo the entire installation, but how can I make sure that I will not have the problems of make files and so on? Is it because 817 or is it the path settings??

As of yday, when the db existed I can login to db using sqlplus uid/pwd@tns.. I am unable to login as svrmgrl. why?
    It asks for a Password, but I did not set any.. First time using Svrmgrl.. How would I go for o/s authentication before creating the database?

Thanks, ST

Something is either messed up with your environment variables or your user is not in the correct group.

[/B][/QUOTE]
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks jeff for the responses.. FYI, there are couple of O/S patches that were missing in the system and the errors that would come are exactly the same I got.. These are aio and kernel perf .... patches.. Once I patch these up, I shall start all over again after removing oratab and orainst.loc. I have added few more variables to .profile and PATH.. The secondary group even though I make as DBA, somehow when I check back again, it will have 7 or 8 other groups. But Primary is only oinstall..
    Hopefully everything should go fine this time..
    Only mystery for me is to connect to the db from host I have used uid/pwd@tns when this can be avoided.. Any clue here?
    Basically what are all the options this becomes true?
    Thanks, ST