DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: large concurrent users

Can you highlights couple of usual issues happens in a Database environment with 300-500+ concurrent users. I am trying to get some idea.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

depending on how your app is written, locking could become a problem. If the database ever seems to 'hang' for some
    users, see if there are any locks.

memory usage on the server could be an issue.

you might need to increase the number of rollback segments

you should be sure that the app is using bind variables

-John
    John Dorlon
    www.ezsql.net
    john@ezsql.net

I think John has answered most of the problems. But to me still your question isn't that clear to know what you are looking for? Try to categorize your doubts that way they could be better explained.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

What's john said is explain high level answer to my question, but my problem is also we have a web application which connect to DB through only couple of JDBC clients I can't narrow down locking for a specific work station because they all use few java clients, how do you narrow down locking with JDBC client ???

Farrokhp,

I assume that means all of those 300 - 500 users will be coming in to the database through a much smaller number of sessions because JDBC does some sort of session pooling?

If so, it may be harder to narrow down specific problems,
    but if it is a web app then I am also assuming that all of the
    transactions will be very short - an update or insert followed immediately by a commit. If that is the case then you probably will not have locking problems.

-John
    John Dorlon
    www.ezsql.net
    john@ezsql.net

That's right but the application is in development stage, developers sometimes forgot to put commit adfter transaction and it will cause the grief. HOW can I find out which part of application is commit forgotten and capital punishment the poor developer.

That's right but the application is in development stage, developers sometimes forgot to put commit adfter transaction and it will cause the grief. HOW can I find out which part of application is commit forgotten and capital punishment the poor developer.