DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hello to all and opinions needed

This I believe is my third post to these forums and I'd like to say hello to all. This is by far the best forum resource on Oracle I have found in the past weeks bar none

As an introduction I am in the midst of a career change from the food/chemical/sensory industry. My soon-to-be previous employer is providing me with a large chunk of change for re-education so I am following my dream if you will to enter the IT field ; more specifically Oracle. A jump from virtually no experience (although I was a part time help desk tech for 4 years) to Oracle DBA is about as steep as you can get but my choices are somewhat limited as to where and what times I can train. I intend to devote approx. 12-16 months if needed to achieve certification all the while using as many real world type examples (sample databases etc.) as I can.

Once complete I will not look for a DBA job right away but possibly a DBO or other true entry level position until I get at least a year under my belt to gain the confidence and actual experience needed to know my limitations and strong points. This will in turn begin to validate the OCP I have acheived and slowly build my worth. My question to you folks is how realistic in your mind is this agenda and what jobs should I look for when I am ready to start applying my training?

Red face

you could get certified training part-time (night school) in 6-8 months. You could then find yourself a jr. DBA position. While working in that position, you could get your OCP. You could finish up EVERYTHING in 1 years time though 1.5 years sounds normal since you want time for on-the-job experience.

- Magnus

Thanks for the info Magnus.......the facility I am considering provieds textbook learning as well as using NetG software. Anyone have any comments on this as well??

Unhappy

i assume this is instructor-led training?
    it would be ashame to have to learn database administration all by yourself.

What is NetG software?

I took Certification courses at a university with professors and hands-on training like creating your own databases, SQL programming, tuning on-site, etc.

Is that what you are looking into?

- magnus

Actually is is not really. The site (TechSkills) has a facility where the bulk is training software (NetG) as well as a set of Oracle instructional books. In addition there are a handful of facilitators who are certified to various degrees in Oracle and other database applications so it appears to be a mix of learning methods.

Here in Cincinnati, OH there is an Oracle office that offers training but the price is 2.5 times that of TechSkills and is 5 days a week all day which I cannot do. I'll need to work part time to help the wife support the family (me, wife, 2 kids) while I train.

Any more perspectives would be greatly appreciated!!!