DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help .. for skill enhancement

Hi

I am a Post Graduate in Computers. I have been working with a large oraganisation as a oracle programmer. 1 year back I changed job to software company which was in Network Systems and E - Commerce and I was to work as a DBA for both.

Currently after dotcom bubble burst we are just working in Network Management Systems (software) . Here I found a very limited scope for DBA Activities. Meanwhile I found DBA activities very interesting and also did course from Oracle in India. However I have a very limited experience as a DBA and especilly in the areas of Backup and Tuning. I got good exp. in SQL / PLSQL , Users Mgmt. Space Mgmt. , Session Mgmt. and creation and configuration of database and My concepts of DBA are also good. I have good practise of DBA scripts on my Desktop on 8i. But not on live database.

My question is can I get a break even as trainee DBA anywhere ?
    I have overall 2 years of experience and also preparing for OCP. What are my prospects in the DBA field ?
    Which kind of company I should join now ?
    Should I join any mfg. concern where large db is there ?

Amol

go for it...

Hi there,
    if you have 2 years experience doing 'DBAish' stuff for a company, and if you know your stuff then you should have little difficulty getting a job as a full-time DBA. I was doing development-DBA before I started here and know a number of people whos main job previously was in other areas but got the job of nursemaiding the oracle database - all of these have ended up as full DBAs. I think the main thing is to apply for jobs and if you get interviews then you re 80% there.

solution

Hi, 2nd Aug 2001 18:45 hrs chennai

First of all i should appreciate your keenees to learn or take advice from others.

what requires much is how well you can talk on your past exp and how best you can confidently pusue that you can be a worth to the new company in the new field you are going to work for.For this you need basics or fundamentals of oracle to be very clear.Say Architecture is where they pull your leg.Next on B&R next on Tuning and next on Administration.I am sure you should be very clear on subject which you can gain by participating in forums such as this.Keep reading lot on oracle above subjects and try to discuss it wih some one in dba career.

If they ask you in interviews what real time problems you hav faced you can tell few of them what you have read here.

An OCP will be added adv for Beginners to show your keenees in learning to the company you go for Interviews.

Sure then you can have a break as Junior DBA.
    What i suggest best is even if you get a Job of a Faculty as DBA take it.First you get few system to handle think it as a real time IT company than a Institute and Manage the DB there.Try to do all kinds of experiments.

The most important is how well you show you are confident in interviews thats what is more important to fair in subject.

Wishing you all the best.

Cheers
    Attitude:Attack every problem with enthusiasam ...as if your survival depends upon it

Thanks Padmam and Croft

your advice cane at right time in right words and really motivating. Now I guess I can at least start applying. My Reading of books and new stuff on forum is continuouslly there and it did help me a lot. I was not sure on just the thing on what domain I should concentrate and my small experience in B&R and Tuning will be of help or not but I guess its ok for now to apply.

Thanks a lot

Amol

solution

Hi Amolik, 6th Aug 2001 20:30 hrs chennai

Well go ahead and start applying for job's.As told already above be clear.

Before the Interviewer starts asking you Question tell your area of strength.So he can be clear on what area to Question you.All this interviews is itself a Exp for you.

Next you have posted same thread in " How to Forum " also.
    Which is not the proper forum to raise your doubts.
    Hence i have deleted the same.

Cheers

Padmam
    Attitude:Attack every problem with enthusiasam ...as if your survival depends upon it