DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: syntax help required

Hi friends,
    I have a table called 'inbound' which is composite partitioned and has a local unique index on col1,col2,col3.
    I need to add further partitions to the table.I want the data to be present in dat_ts_10 and the associated unique index to be in idx_ts_10. Can someone suggest the corrext syntax?
    Thanks
    manjunath

Lead

Hi, 5th Aug 2001 13:55 hrs chennai

http://www.oradoc.com/ora816/server....rtiti.htm#9105

try it out or else get back to thread.

Cheers

Padmam
    Attitude:Attack every problem with enthusiasam ...as if your survival depends upon it

Thanks Padmam,
    I had gone thru' the docs, but I still had some doubts.If I got it right,
    alter table inbound add partition new_partition
    tablespace dat_ts_10 :
    Above step will also create a new_partition for the local index, but in the same tablespace as the data.So,
    alter index local_unique_idx rebuild partition new_partition
    tablespace new_tablespace idx_ts_10;
    Is the above okay? My table is composite partitioned(partitioned on a range and subpartitioned on a hash).I am not sure whether above syntax will work for composite partitioned tables. I am anyway going to try it on a test bed, but it would be better if someone confirms the correct approach.
    Also, is there any precautions to be taken regarding the enqueue_resources during the above steps? When the index was first created for 20 parttions, I had trouble with the parameter and it is presently set at 15000(default setting for my database was 5140).
    Thanks again
    manjunath

Well, I got the answer.It is not possible to use the rebuild option with the composite partitioned tables. I need to alter table add partition, which creates the new index patition too, in the same tablespace as data.After that I need to use alter index rebuild option for each of the subpartitions.That works.
    Only problem is I have 256 subpartitions, and now I need to find out a method to rebuild them, each day.
    Thanks
    manjunath

good approach

Hi Manjunath, 6th Aug 2001 13:40 hrs chennai

Its good approach you have got back to the thread and
    gave your follow up on real exp .

Cheers

Padmam
    Attitude:Attack every problem with enthusiasam ...as if your survival depends upon it