DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: constraint issue

Smile

I have a table(emp) that has 4 check constraints on a column(first_name).

alter table emp add constraint ck_first_name check (first_name in ('JOHN','DAN','ROB','NEAL'));

The table has been loaded with a lot of data. Now I want to add the name DAVID to the first_name column as one of the check constraints.

My question is how do I do that? Do I just drop the entire constraint and recreate it or because the table is loaded with data, it cannot be done.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,
    clinton

well, I do not see the suefulness of such a constraint ... you need to alter it, but I don't understand why it is made that way : if your table contains all the employees, then there is no need to check their name, and if it does contain several lines for an employee, then you should have a table with the enmplyees names only, and a foreign key between emp and this table ...

That is just an example. I just want to know how the it's done

as a general thing :
    you have a reference table (for example a table emp with all employees), and in your other tables where you use the employee's name or ID, you just add a foreign key which references emp, that way :
    1) you are sure that one cannot add a line with an employee that does not exist in emp
    2) you cannot delete a line in emp if the employee is still referenced elsewhere

so it's very rare to have check constraints like the one you proposed

Assuming the table has no parent-child relationship, can I modify the check constraint?