DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to Keep DBA Job

In the bad economic environment?

Smile

I have to wax my managers car for a year!
    MH

solution

Hi SYSDBA, 6th Aug 2001 20:39 hrs chennai

Before going in to the topic you have wrongly posted the thread in "How to Forum " and the same has been moved to "Oracle Database Administration" forum.

This is a Highly competitive world.

Its all how one develop's his skill predicting before the crash happens rather than aftermath.Luckily you have asked this now.

For eg you can develop yourself in Multiple skill sets this only possible when you think you have to stand distinct from others.

Your knowledge should be very valuable wherever you go.Try to exemplary in one area and learn lot more in case the worst happens so that you can switch.

As far as the IT is concerned as of now there can be Never be a 100% " NO " to IT professional's.May be downsizing may happen.But looking positive side's in Europe ,India and heavy demand in Germany are happy news.Even knowing a additional Language apart from your skill in IT has also earned many job's in Germany.

I know still very good companies in India is Recruiting lot of IT professional's.

Dear Hanky my kind request is please let us be specific to topic .

Cheers

Padmam
    Attitude:Attack every problem with enthusiasam ...as if your survival depends upon it

Talking

Hi

You need lots and lots of GOOD LUCK and offcourse some Good contacts.

Ecnomic recession has hit US very badly currently and in turn hitting other countries too.

Regards
    Santosh

Occasionally bust the database and your the only man who can fix it .

Obviously

Talking

Occasionally bust the database and your the only man who can fix it .

Obviously
    But Dont go and BUST PRODCUTION database!!

Regards
    Santosh

If it is NT Machine just go ahead and reboot the server .
    You can safely say NT bug.That's what the guys who work in my previous job will say to the manager.

The Manager will curse the NT for 5 to 10 mins .That's it ..
    Radhakrishnan.M

If you have a set of systems that are running well, then keep your bosses informed on what you did to ensure that performance. If you see potential problems before they become big ones and fix it, then inform your boss of the potential problems you helped your company avoid. If you do things and your boss never knows about them, you are then short changing yourself.

Settle in a long, cosy project and become a DBA for it. I am talking about integration project for a large client that lasts 18 months. That is not rare even in this tough economy. They will keep you till the project is completed, packaged, delivered and tested.