DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Control Files

Hi,

when using a recovery catalog is the following correct. After you have taken a full hat backup in archivelog mode I have wiped the hard dirve to test my recovery plan. I have the info in the recovery catalog, the backup file, and a backup of the control file. I reinstall Oracle 8.1.7, recreate the instance using the original scripts to the original locations. Now do I need to copy the backed up control file over the newly created control file or can I use the newly created ones?

Thanks

During a hot backup you do not 'copy' the controlfile.

'alter database backup controlfile to trace' is a command that creates a file that can be used to recreate the controlfile in its current state.

So I think you can probably use new ones yes. You cannot use a copy of the controlfile unless you performed a cold backup.

Hope this helps.

So why when I register the new instance I get a new DBID which is not recogonized by RMAN and therefore cant recover the files?

The recovery manager is looking to recover into the same database.

I'm hoping someone can help you with this.

I do all my recoveries manually and it's never plain sailing. Sorry I can't help you more.

Yes this is my problem, when I recreate the instance with the exact same scripts the recovery manager never sees that it is the same database because when I register the newly created instance it gets a new DBID, this is my problem and its very annoying.

If you have access to the Oracle Technology Network then this might help you.

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/...onc.htm#438314

If you dont i'll copy and paste everything into an e-mail and send it to you.

Thanks, one other thing, should you be able to connect to an instance after a shut down immediate command? I assume no.

For example in the step 2 below, is this run from RMAN or from SVRMGRL?

1 -Start RMAN and connect to the target database and, optionally, the recovery catalog database. For example, enter:

% rman target / catalog rman/rman@rcat

2- If the database is open, shut it down and then mount it:

shutdown immediate;
    startup mount;

3 - After allocating channels, restore the database:

run {
    allocate channel ch1 type disk;
    allocate channel ch2 type disk;
    allocate channel ch3 type disk;
    restore database;
    }

I would say step 2 can be ran from svrmgrl and after issuing a shutdown immediate users can't log on.

So that would mean that step 1 would have to be run again? Not very good instructions