DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Scheduling RMAN with Veritas NetBackup

Hybrid View

How do we configure Veritas NetBackup to run RMAN backup scripts at 2 different times of the day? For eg, we want to run the Incremental Backup Script at 1300 hours and at 0100 hours.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

My knowledge of Veritas is very patchy too say the least but I think you may be able to create a policy to run the script and within the policy have a frequency of 12hours.
    Would this not run the backup at 12 hour intervals?

if you schedule the first backup for 1pm then the second should run at 1am etc.

Hope this helps....Sorry for being so vague but it's all I can remember

Moff

I would setup two schedules for your class. One that runs at 01:00 and one that runs at 13:00.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks Jeff and Moff,

Veritas tell us that their software just provides a time window in which RMAN's scripts could run in. This just confuses me. Why not have the software define the time when it should start RMAN's scripts?

My thinking is that, Veritas provides the time window, and it will look into the defined directory where the RMAN scripts are located. And if it sees that the scripts are there, it will execute it.

If my thinking is correct, then perhaps, we define a 24 hour Veritas window and we should run a cron job to copy the RMAN script into that directory and then remove it when done.

Then when we want the backup to be done again, we have the cron job copy that script back into that directory.

Seems so convoluted. Veritas could have save us much trouble if it would just the schedule defined in its software and run RMAN's scripts at the appointed times.

What do you think?

I disagree. Veritas provides a window to prevent backup conflict errors. For example, say you have a backup scheduled to run from 03:00 until 04:00 and another from 04:00 until 05:00. For some reason, your 3:00 backup goes to 4:20 on Monday. If Veritas did not provide a window, your backup would fail at 4:00. With a window, you tell Netbackup he can run anytime between two timepoints thus reducing your potential for missed backups.
    Jeff Hunter

Incremental backup from an application

is it possible to take backup of database from D2K forms or any application like vb with time intervals.? if yes, then how? in my current project, user is asking me to make a form from which they can take backup at regular intervals. what should i do?