DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Same DB_NAME or Diff DB_NAME?

Hi:

I will be having several database in several servers. One instance(DB) per machine.

I am wondering, is there any benefit of having different DB_NAME for each of these databases? Does having different DB name will make any differenece? Is it mandatory for any implementation, such as MTS, distributed DB etc.?

Please explain me, the benefits of having different DB_NAME for every instance. I am not using GLOBAL DB NAME now.

note: Currently I have a few Instance with the same DB name on different servers. I am trying to determine whether I will keep the same throuhout the organization or change atleat the new ones?

If you run OEM, you might run into an issue. While doing Y2K testing on a bunch of apps, I had copied the production database to another host and kept the db_name. However, the OEM GUI had issues managing both "prod" databases.

Personally, I opt for different db names in case I ever have to host two databases on the same box. What if your organization gets bought out and has to move all their dbs to one massive box?
    Jeff Hunter

Jeff, Thank you very much for your response.

But, OEM connects to the DB based on the TNS name and if they are on different servers, it wouldn't be a problem. correct?

I totally agree with you having problem on having two DBs on the same machine with the same name( I experienced problems when I was doing some testing).

Do you aware of anyother problems or anything which mandates different DB_NAME for each DB in the network ?

Thank you.

Originally posted by gsprince
    But, OEM connects to the DB based on the TNS name and if they are on different servers, it wouldn't be a problem. correct?
    Kind of yes, kind of no. True, the GUI connects via the tnsnames.ora alias. However, the "Intelligent" Agent resides on the server side and gets its configuration from the files on server (listener.ora, snmp_r*, etc.).
    Jeff Hunter

I have 12 DB and I am reinstalling them. I plan on using the unix hostname within the global DB name, which works great within OEM.

Thank you both.

My initial thought was also to use the hostname as part of the DB. Since, my existing DBs have the same names, I was little confused.