DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ldap

is there anybody can talk something about ldap?

what's it, what for?

one document i read says that :
    a directory service is a database that tells you where things are. DNS is an example of a type of directory service. As things get bigger, as you have more things to track (like users for example) you need a directory service to consolidate all of this data. OID (Oracle Internet Directory) is an LDAP server built on top of Oracle that provides this functionality.

my question is, if we have database, why we need ldap?
    seems to me ldap is a simple version of database.
    am i right?
    guru is on the way!!!!

LDAP stands for Lightweight Directory Access Protocol. In the case of Oracle Internet Directory (OID), it is a piece of software that rides on top of an Oracle database that will allow you to access resources (databases). OID can be used for authentication as well as name resolution. Most commonly, OID is used to take the place of Oracle Names; a centralized naming repository.

If you have a small number of databases (<20) that rarely change name, you probably would not want to use OID for centralized database naming.
    Jeff Hunter

ldap

we are developing a very very small relation database,
    basically it is lots of service, lots of user, then user subscrip
    service, can we user ldap instead of oracle to implement it?

the reason we want to know that is because if it can , it will save us lots of money
    guru is on the way!!!!

If you are concerned about cost you should look at using mySQL as your database. Keep in mind, however, you get what you pay for...
    Jeff Hunter

if i want to design a phone book database. ldap is obvious a choice. oracle of course is another choice,

my question is based on what rule. i can tell that ldap can't use for this system, but oracle can?
    guru is on the way!!!!