DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Multiple things in one machine

Hybrid View

Can you highlight what extra care and/or extra conflict will happen when :

1. I install secoond oracle server software in same machine with different home address
    2. I create second database in same machine with different Oracle SID

Common troubleshooting will be much appreciate

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

There should be little conflict when installing two versions of oracle on the same machine. Make sure you use different ORACLE_HOMEs for each version. When installing two versions, I typically use the listener with the HIGHER version to listen for both databases.

Creating two databases (SIDs) on the same box is also no problem. You have to watch out to make sure you have enough physical resources (memory, mount points, etc) and that your kernal parameters are configured such that you can use enough resources. Other than that, it's common practice and will allow you to maximize your oracle license.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    Other than that, it's common practice and will allow you to maximize your oracle license.

Could you be more specific on what you mean by this?? Just curious ...

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

By "maximize your oracle license" I mean hosting multiple databases on the same box. Early in the sales cycle, a lot of management types are lead to believe that you must have a seperate server for each database you are running.

Since you license Oracle by CPU (either contrived or directly), you save licensing costs by utilizing more processor per box. Of course, this doesn't make much sense if your application is already CPU bound, but on a system with idle CPU, you can add a second database to the same box without worrying about licensing costs.
    Jeff Hunter