DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: portal ??

hi dbas

recently i received a request from my manager for evaluating oracle 9i portal .i would like to know how much programming is required to get this thing statrted off.we dont have much java expertise available in our team .also does oracle 9i has portal built into it???

are there any sites that use oracle portal???

regards
    hrishy

[Edited by hrishy on 05-19-2001 at 12:41 AM]

Any Portals Yet?

I'd be curious to see any examples of Oracle Portal sites as well. Now that a bit more time has passed since the release, perhaps someone out there has some examples that they can point to. I recently purchased the "Oracle9iAS Portal Bible", but haven't had an opportunity to do much with Oracle Portal yet.

I halfway wonder whether we wouldn't be better off using PHP. Any opinions?

I installed it on my test system and things went fine. One damn, it consumed a huge space, There is no way to unselect ceratin components on it. Other than that its more in close tie with the oracle WebDB. I'm too interested in getting to see some postings on this concepts...

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Talking

Hello

Well we are still evaluating Oracle portal.......the reason being
    lack of java expertise with us and programmers being busy with other things.

Oracle portal vs php..........

Personally i prefer PHP bcoz its more like c open source and excellent tutrials are available for ex at http://www.phpbuilder.com
    and http://www.codecharge.com however i am yet to see entprise level portals with php...if you are lookin for forums,bbs helpdesks or a simple application php si the way to go.but if your lookin for enterprise class application like CRM or BI i think then we should be lookin towards portal.

with zend engine enabled for php i feel php is way ahead comapred Jsp and servlets....................and it rocks when compared to portal.

waiting for others to comment on this.

regards
    hrishy