DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: init.ora

What exactly happen if PROCESS and OPEN_CURSOR parameters in INIT.ORA set to very low number. Failure might be happen per session, per user and when and how ???

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

processes gives the max number of OS user processes that can simultaneously connect, and you must take into account all background processes, job processes, parallel execution processes, ...

open_cursors specifies the max number of PL/SQL cursors a session can have at the same time, so it's quite different from processes

if max proceses is reached, then the user won't be able to connect
    if max cursors is reached, then the PL/SQL program executing will return an error

as you see it's completely different, and it does not produces problems at the same moment

Hi,

The PROCESS parameter dictates the number of O/S processes that can be connected to Oracle concurrently.
    Setting this too low may prevent your application/users connecting to the database.
    The OPEN_CURSOR parameter specifies the max No of open cursors a session can have at once. This should be high enough to avoid your application running out of open cursors.
    According to the Oracle8i reference manual there should be little or no impact in setting this value higher than actually needed.

Cheers
    Moff.

Open Cursors

A cursor is a place in memory. Not only do PL/SQL programs use cursors, but also SQL Statements. The cursors should be closed after the statement executes, but this is not always the case.

On my database, there is no PL/SQL, but we have an open cursor problem. We suspect that the problem lies in Select statements against the dual table.

Good luck.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g