DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Temporary tablespaces - dict. managed, local managed, permanent or temporary?

We're designing a new DB, and the issue of how to design our temporary tablespaces is being discussed. What are the implications of local vs. dictionary managed and of temporary segments in permanent tablespaces vs temporary tablespaces? I remember from an Oracle class that there are reasons to put a temp segment in a permanent tablespace, but I can't remember or find any info on that.

Also, does the "LOGGING" or "NOLOGGING" parameter have any effect on a tablespace used for temp segments?
    Oracle DBA and Developer

Hi,

Just be aware that locally managed temporary tablespaces are not seen by RMAN when you do a full backup. Therefore the structure (filename, size and placement) are not recorded and will have to manually created if you restore the backup..

Cheers
    Moff

Originally posted by moff
    Just be aware that locally managed temporary tablespaces are not seen by RMAN when you do a full backup. Therefore the structure (filename, size and placement) are not recorded and will have to manually created if you restore the backup..
    I would bet it's the TEMORARY piece of that statement and not the LOCALLY MANAGED that RMAN doesn't pick up.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by kmesser
    What are the implications of local vs. dictionary managed and of temporary segments in permanent tablespaces vs temporary tablespaces?
    Because of the amout of extent allocation/deallocation in a TEMP tablespace, I like to use Temporary LMT's for TEMP. I was particularly swayed by http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ...aces.htm#10643
    Jeff Hunter

What Steve Adams, a real expert, have to say about this:
    http://www.ixora.com.au/newsletter/2001_06.htm#temp
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

jmodic,

Thanks for posting. However, I can't get your link to work . . .
    Oracle DBA and Developer

That's strange, it works for me.....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Cool Temp Segments

Hi,
    listen.... never tries to place temporary segments in ur permanant tablespace place. Coz, frequently allocation and deallocation of extents can cause fragmentation to ur tablspace.
    As u write that once u listen to place temporary segments to ur permanant tablespace ( it will help u in order to improve performance , but a little bit ). coz fragmentation is more dangerous then a little bit improvemnt in processing cost .
    take care
    Faraz A. Farooqui
    Oracle Consultant
    InfoPak, SBS
    92-21-5862318
    92-21-5862319

jmodic,

Hey, it works for me today also. For whatever reason, I couldn't get to it last night.

Thanks!

Oracle DBA and Developer