DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how does MAXINSTANCES specified during database creation affects Oracle8 and Oracle8i

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    From my understanding MAXINSTANCES affects how many other database instances can be created
    on a single server...so if i already created a database with max instance=1 and rightfully when i attempt
    to create another instance it'll give me an error(while the other instance still online). Right??

But i am seeing different result using Oracle8 and Oracle8i...Oracle8i allows me to create both instances and
    allowing me to make both online despite i created both database with maxinstance=1...

Is this normal??

very confused..or am i missing somethg?

junior

No, this parameter has nothing to do with "how many database instances can be created on the same server".

This parameter is only relevant if the database will be used in Oracle Parallel Server configuration - it specifies the maximum number of instances that can simultaneously work on this one database.

If you do not have OPS you do not need to wory about this parameter.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

right! got it!...i got this semaphore error when i attempt to startup the 2nd instances
    ..wat do u think could it be?

junior

Hi,

Sounds like your kernal needs to be reconfigured....You need to ensure the O/S kernal is configured correctly. The semaphores and memory parameters can be found in the installation manual (if you have it). Once you've entered the paramiters you'll have to restart the box.

Cheers
    Moff

oh...ok..i 'll recheck my system parameters.

Thanks for ya help dude

junior