DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is the DBO Exam any good?

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any knowledge of the DBO exam, and whether taking it might provide some preperation for the OCP exams, which are quite difficult from my understanding.

Thanks

Hi, I have done the OCP in Oracle8 for DBO 1st before taking on OCP in Oracle8i for DBA.

The DBO exam only prepares you for Oracle adminstration on Windows platform. It emphasizes on using Oracle's GUI tools to administer Oracle databases. You will have an overall, on the surface, understanding of Oracle architecture and database usage.

DBO exam is quite far off from the DBA certification exams. Technically, having certified as OCP DBO is not sufficient to handle a DBA job. Most Oracle databases run on Unix platforms, so it is useless having the knowledge of using all the GUI tools to administer Oracle on Windows platform.

It id better to attend an Oracle conducted course on DBA architecture 1st which will definite help you alot.

Taking the OCP in DBO only helps you in getting the 1st interview coz' most employer think that it is the OCP in DBA!

My point here is, DBO certification will not prepare you well for a real DBA position.

Good luck.