DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Discription of Line in listner.log file

I'm trying to figure out what the "service_update" line
    means in the listner.log file. Is this a re-reading of the TNSNAME file?, a "restart" of the Listner?

Any help would be appreciated.

Example:

12-JUL-01 11:43:54 * DFLT.WORLD * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)(PORT=xxxxxx)) * service_update * DFLT * 0
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Ken Hammer

It is neither a "re-reading of the TNSNAME file" nor a "restart of the LISTENER"

During service registration (when the instance comes up) the PMON process provides the listener with various information like service name,dispatcher/dedicated server, load etc.

When this information changes, the PMON process updates the registration information with the listener so that the listener has the most current values. This is the "service_update" you see.

-amar

Discription of Line in listner.log file

Originally posted by amar
    It is neither a "re-reading of the TNSNAME file" nor a "restart of the LISTENER"

During service registration (when the instance comes up) the PMON process provides the listener with various information like service name,dispatcher/dedicated server, load etc.

When this information changes, the PMON process updates the registration information with the listener so that the listener has the most current values. This is the "service_update" you see.

Would part of the information above called "service name" come from the tnsname.ora file? What would cause this information to change?

-amar
    Ken Hammer

The service name is the service_names value in the init.ora file for a particular instance (it is not the same as the net service name found in the tnsnames.ora).

When I said about "information changes", I should have clarified it a bit - the service name does not change. The PMON process most of the time updates the listener with new information about the noad/dispatcher load.

My apologies for the confusion

-amar

Discription of Line in listner.log file

Thank-you for the help Amar. It makes sense now.

Originally posted by amar
    The service name is the service_names value in the init.ora file for a particular instance (it is not the same as the net service name found in the tnsnames.ora).

When I said about "information changes", I should have clarified it a bit - the service name does not change. The PMON process most of the time updates the listener with new information about the noad/dispatcher load.

My apologies for the confusion

-amar
    Ken Hammer