DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Remote Oracle installation question

Our company is in Toronto Canada and I need to install the Oracle software in our remote production NT machine which is located 4000 KM away in San Jose, California. And after install Oracle 8i software I need to create a database ( almost 20GB ). First of all is it possible to do this task totally remotely and if yes what is the things I should be aware of and what is the steps, advices and potential bottleneck. Have you ever did something similar.

Thanks
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Since its NT, I don't know whether it is possible to map your local cdrom to the remote-systems' network mapping. If that is possible then, map it and start the installation by loging on to the remote system.

If not what you could do is copy the files from the cdrom to your remote systems' directory and start installing from there.

But one thing that you have to note is that if you are connecting to the remote system from your unix box, then you have to set your display appropriately.

Choose a time that has a less network congesstion.

Hope this would help you.
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Thanks for reply but two things I need to know :

1. Do I have to map my local CD ROM to that remote machine OR do I have to map the remote machine hard drive to my local machine before installation ( I guess the second choice is correct, because when I map remote hard drive in my local machine, my local machine treat it as another hard drive and can install software )

2. If I copy Oracle server software CDs to a temp folder in remote then statr installtion, does Oracle find the path without problem, I mean if Oracle 8i software exist in more than one CD, I ma not sure.

Please ironize

Second option won't work. Supose if u map the remote hard disk then oracle will not update the regedit of the remote machine. Better dump the CD to remorte NT machine and install there. I hope it will work fine.

--Sriram.

Does everything is in one CD ( Oracle 8i Enterprise ) ?? If not path finding problem after copy ?

For windows, every thing is in one CD.

Sam

[Edited by sambavan on 07-11-2001 at 05:56 PM]
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

You can use Terminal server and do a normal installation with a CD or a file Dump of oracle at the remote machine

regards

What do you mean by terminal server ??

Lightbulb

Hi, why don't you try creating a response file so that you can perform a non-Interactive installation.

Check out the .rsp files in your Oracle8i CDROM under the stage/Response directory.

Good luck!