DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: install different versions of Oracle on the same server

Hi,

Because of the contraint on the avaiable resources, I won't be able to install different versions of Oracle on differnent servers while I do need to test my script against all target versions (8.0, 8.1.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7 and possibly 9i).

So can I install different versions of Oracle on the same server? If yes, how can I do it? I wonder if Oracle Universal installer going to find something from the registry and prevent me to do that.

FYI -- I am using WinNT and Win2K.

Also, if I've created a database in 8.1.7 and put a lot of data inside, can I migrate them to other versions for testing so I don't have to put in the data again?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I think as long as you are using separate ORACLE_HOME for each version, you should be able to install it on the same server. If this is your Production server, then you should try it on a test server first.

For reloading the data, use Export/Import

- Rajeev
    Rajeev Suri

You can have different versions of Oracle on the same server just make sure that the ORACLE_HOME are different and also all PATH and .profile for each Home is set .

Be careful while maintaining this server , it does lead to compications sometimes having different versions on same server

But you have to know one thing is that you cannot have the same instance name on both the databases.

Sam

[Edited by sambavan on 07-11-2001 at 06:05 PM]
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!