dcsimg
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need your advice...

Red face

My company want to build an inner web for some office/message or communication,and some documents support . We have about 700 employees. What can i choose from:
    1) IIS(ASP/JSP) + 8i db;(I had built one)
    2) oracle web server + portal + 8i; (??)
    3) web server + EJB + 8i;(??)
    4) others???
    I do not have exp. on 2) or 3). Is that easy to build and script.
    or you can give me more solutions.
    thank you very much.

Talking

Hi Pobwell

Well commin from a DBA support .com its tempting to give advise and say use Oracle8i................use pl/sql server pages use jsp...........or use Oracle portal.................but these days i have become much more mature in these kind of subjects......................

Well lookin at your requirements ..................i would efinately suggest this...........

go download PHPgroup ware..........from sourceforge.net........its written in PHP which is similar to C language....run MySql database....and run apache....you have the thing up and running......

You might be surprised by my advice but do think it over....because i would suggest you use oracle,sql DB2 these big databases obnly for transaction intensive applications.......
    certainly its a overkill for the application you are talkin about.

i would appreciate others view on this topic.

regards
    hrishy

P.S:By the way this site itself is built on php you can c the extension.

Red face yes but...

cgi/php just fit for nt platform because programing on unix is more complex and hard to debugger. so cgi must be linked to a database through odbc or ado, you know, odbc and ado is ****. My web database could be millions of rows and keep growing. Linking through odbc or ado is impossible.
    So, i want to choose those jvm or application server which can link to db directly.
    thank you.

Talking

Hi

Well my friend i have analyzed your case by the information you have posted here.Let me tell you something php is faster comapred to java win32 port is available its platform indepemdent you can run it as a module....you dont have to use cgi...............use IDE for php like phped or phpshop which are exe which work on your favoutite platform windows
    they use OCI calls and hence no ODBC ..no ado no asp...
    some of the worlds best sites like amihotornot.com,auctionwatch.com,www.zend.com,www.dbasupport.com run on php....

by the way mysql is free can sacle up to terrabytes and do
    replication ..........(of course it cantdo transactions) but should suffice your requirements.

what i have given you is advice .....to implement or not to implement is your choice.as you are the best judge of your requirements.

regards
    hrishy

P.S:advice is like snow the softer it falls the deeper it sinks in

I recommend WebDB, I believe it is called Portal now, becuase of my passed experience. I setup a WebDB site that had to hold terabytes of data and in various file formats, primarily pdf and be searchable. I also, used Intermedia for its advance search capabilities and the customer was surprised at the ease of use. I setup the site in about a week and started making modifications, it was a great and successful project.