DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rollforward to another DB

Hybrid View

Question

Hi,
    I'm an ingres DBA who has been given three Oracle servers to look after, not that I know much about Oracle! I've been setting up some backups recently and have created the recovery catalogue and have brought the DB's into on-line auto archive mode. What I would like to do is take the archive logs/redo logs from the live DB and roll it forward onto another DB on a different machine. I guess to do this the 2 DB's would need to be set up identically, i.e. same name, same tablespace locations/names etc

Can anyone give me any advice or pointers about the process involved in rolling forward please?

I would be happy with just a backup myself, but my boss is moaning :-)

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hi,

What version of Oracle are you using? What platform?

You need to implement a standby database which will allow you to transport the archive logs from your production system and apply them to your standby database. Depending on the version of Oracle you can open the standby for read only access which would allow you to perform any reporting tasks on the standby.

Check out the following link : Oracle standby database concepts and administration. (It's for 8.1.6)

http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle...a76995/toc.htm

Hope this helps

Moff

Hi,
    We are running Oracle 8.0.4 on NT 4 with SP6.

Cheers,

Mark