DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-01033: initialization or shutdown in progress!

Hybrid View

A colleague has mailed me with this error message. He's not an Oracle person and so it's usless me asking him for more information.

He can't login to SQL*Plus and keeps getting this message.

ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress.

Now - I know what it means but what could be causing it? What would cause the initialization to hang?

JM

Hi,

If you initialize or shutdown a database and you abort the operation (killed telnet session, ctrl+C, etc...), this is what oracle will tell you when you try to connect. I suppose there are other reasons, but these ones are most of the cases I've met.
    To restart the database, connect internal, then "startup force". After this operation, you should immediately "shutdown immediate" the database, then restart it...

Hope it helps

Fabien

ORA-01033 ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

Cause: An attempt was made to log on while Oracle is being started or shut down.

Action: Wait a few minutes. Then retry the operation.

Is Oracle running on this box?
    MH

Originally posted by JMac
    A colleague has mailed me with this error message. He's not an Oracle person and so it's usless me asking him for more information.

He can't login to SQL*Plus and keeps getting this message.

ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress.

Now - I know what it means but what could be causing it? What would cause the initialization to hang?

after issuing the shutdown abort command he should attempt to startup the database again. If the database does not startup successfully a ORA- message will be displayed usually
    in these events some parameter may have been modified in
    the init file, which does not allow for the database to be started up successfully. He should check for these messages
    and adjust the parameters accordingly.

JM