DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: replication

Question

Hello,
    I created snapshot at remote site.From the oracle manuals it is noted that Oracle 8i will not support the LONG and LONG RAW datatypes,actually we are going to install a outside vendor application on remote site in which one of table consist of LONG datatype which is used to capture the images of people,since Oracle will not support this datatype,can any one tell which datatype will replace the LONG so that it will not affect the replication.
    Thank u

Talking

Hi

Oracle reccomends to use Blob datatype for binary large objects and Clob for character large objectsin case you need to store these binary data within database.if you need to store binary data outside database at os level you could use bfiles.

regards
    hrishy

Hello hrishy

When i attempt to change it to BLOB or CLOB the database is saying u are attempting a invalid datatype.Whats the problem
    Regards
    Akhadar

Talking

Hi

what are you attempting at could you show me the steps.you cannot directly convert a long data type to blob or clob .you will have to spoll the data to a text file and create a table with a blob or clob data type nad then load this table using sqldr.

kindly refer to this thread for more details
    http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...?threadid=8170

regards
    hrishy

Thumbs up

Thank u very much for your detail explanation including the explanation given in your previous thread.
    Regards
    akhadar