DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to add existing .DBF to new DB

Hybrid View

My SQL Server is showing. I miss sp_attach. I have all the files from client's Oracle DB, and want to add the .DBF to a new database and access it for application development (MS- based web front). What other info/files do I need to make the data accessible in my dev database by my "dev_user"?

Thumbs up

If I understand your question correctly:
    You cannot add a datafile from Database A to Database B.

You must export the data from Database A and import it into Database B / or use the SQL COPY command to do that.

Thumbs up Thank you KHussain

Thanks for your reply. It turned out we had to treat it more like a database backup. An overview is something like this:
    We changed the init.ora to indicate the database and service we needed to access, then we did an alter database backup controlfile to trace, and used this (error filled) file to build an SQL for a new CREATE CONTROLFILE. We were able to then mount the database in question, but had several more errors afterward, and needed to recompile the database using PROCS individually from the Build_all.sql... the lesson is: NEVER settle for anything less than a .DMP! What a pain!