DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Want to Become a Oracle DBA

Thumbs up

Dear Friends,

At Present, I am Working as a Analyst Programmer(Oracle). I want to become a good Oracle DBA. OCP Certifiation is required or not? Because I don't have any practical exp . Is it possible to get a DBA job without practical Exp? Anyone can help me please?

Cheers

Ram

Talking

It is very hard to find an entry-level Oracle DBA position without experience. An OCP certification *might* help you find an entry-level position but that is not a guarantee. My suggestion is, buy an Oracle license if you can afford it and create your own Oracle-backed Web site. That way you can get actual 'on the job' experience hehe. Or...If you have a relative who has his own businness and wants to put up a Web Site, buy him/her an Oracle License and volunteer to create his site using Oracle. It's not cheap, but it will give you the experience you need. Practical experience in a live production database is so important in a DBA position it's even more important than a college degree.
    You think I'm going to have an affair with you? --Stanley Kowalski

Hi Ram,
    Certainly go for certification, it will definitly help you to know finer aspects of Oracle. Getting a job is on luck.
    I suggest wherever you are working right now try to take extra responsibilities of dba or try to stick with yr dba and try to gain as much practial experience as possible.
    regards
    There Nothing You cannot Do, The problem is HOW.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Thanks for immediate response. I have confidence to work as a DBA. I hope this is enough to serve as a DBA without OCP DBA Cert. Am I correct or not? Give your suggestions please?

Thanks

Cheers

Ram

Wink

Now There Ram,
    U R treading into dangerous waters, there is a long long discussion thread regarding this issue(if U consider it to be one). you will find the thread in dba cetification forum.
    All the best.
    There Nothing You cannot Do, The problem is HOW.

Plan

Dear Ram, 27th June 2001 16:22 hrs chennai

Please read this link for the already ongoing discussion for the doubt you have.

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...?threadid=8088

I am also moving this thread to certification Forum since your issue doesn't pertain to some kind of problem On oracle DBA.

I also came to this field like you.

I had worked on Oracle Tuning for about an year while working as a developer and without any designation as a full fledged Oracle DBA.

Without certification i was able get a Job in total DBA side.
    After which i also recently completed OCP and Sun System Administration.I also had a good recognition from my Organization now it all depends on many factors which you have to plan.

Definitely for the beginers like you in to this field it will help a lot if you could take certification which will surely boost your confidence and get a junior DBA job in some company.

Not all DBA are in first hand experienced to be chosen for the Job everyone come the way as you have.

Its all due to competition etc reasons certifications required.Even without that you can come up its all how you project yourself during interview and speak on subject.

How to succeed in OCP DBA exams.

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=10596

participate actively in this forum to shape up yourself on technical informations which is what called as Exp like in real time when you solve problems.

Wishing you all the best and success for you future endeavours.

Cheers

Padmam

Attitude:Attack every problem with enthusiasam ...as if your survival depends upon it

Starting as a DBA

Hi there RAM,
    About a year back I was in the same position as you: I was an Analyst Programmer with 5 yeasr Oracle Development experience who wanted to become a DBA. At that time I was less interested in the job of DBA and more interested in the technical side of things - what happens behind the scenes. Anyway, basically I went out and bought some books and spent a lot of tim ereading and testing ideas out on a database at home. Like padmam I also spent lots of time doing SQL Tuning at work and the like and found that a lot of the basics I already knew from my development background. I dont have OCP although I will hopefully go for it in the near future.

Eventually when I felt confident enough I applied for a job as DBA for a company and I gt the job: Although I did not have years of DBA experience I ws able to prove that I was willing to learnand was doing so off my own back: That will always get you a long way :-)

One thing though... when you become a DBA, you may miss the 'kick' you get from developing a system and being able to say 'I made that'....

Good luck! It took me a little while to make the change over but im enjoying it.

-Bob

Thumbs up

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot to Mr. Padmam and Mr. bmycroft.

Cheers

Ram

Hi bmycroft,

I am in the same boat what u were one year back i am a developer trying to make a break as a dba I have cleared my oracle8i ocp too. The main thing is how did u get your first break as a DBA if u tell a recruiter that u do not have dba exp and have developer exp will he consider u ?

Anyone else who had the same experience please comment

Thanks
    Joenazi

Good suggestion by Padmam. Keep digging your books and you ar sure to mine the gold. Keep going through books and also keep posting all your doubts and questions on this forum, simultaniously prepare for your OCP. You'ld sure succeed. Always have a positive attitude

But one thing for sure, you would loose the "Kick" as one of the folks had pointed out

Good luck,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!