need temp file for recovery?
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: need temp file for recovery?

I have a production database needs to do hot backup. There is a temporary tablespace (not permanent) in it.

My question is:

1.do I need to include the datafile in that tablespace in my hot backup script? how about cold backup?

2. do I need the datafiles associated with temporary tablespace in case I need to do recovery?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I'd answer : if you want to be clean in your save strategy, save your TEMP tablespace.
    Nevertheless you know that if there is a crash and you need to recover your instance, you'll always manage to do it without your TEMP tablespace since you know it's empty, you can then disable, drop, and recreate it quite easily and have your instance running ...

Thank you, Pipo. Since the recovery doesn't need the temp file, plus the fact I don't see tempfiles comes up when I query dba_data_files dictionary, can I say this --
    when the check point happens the header of tempfile does NOT get the SCN number as other datafiles?

Originally posted by daphnny
    plus the fact I don't see tempfiles comes up when I query dba_data_files dictionary
    TEMP files show up in dba_temp_files.

Personally, I would have to have a STRONG reason why NOT to include a temporary tablespace/file in a backup. As long as you are doing a complete backup, either hot or cold, why not include the TEMP tablespaces? Not backing up these files probably don't save that much tape or time when doing the backups...
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

Jeff,

Thanks. But for hot backup,
    if I do' alter tablespace temp begin backup', or
    'alter tablspace temp end backup' I will get ORA-03217: invalid option for alter tablespace ...