DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 8i Install

Arrow

I have just done a custom install of Oracle 8i.

It is to be set up as a Server however no-one can connect to it because there is no TNSListener service running. It is not even available in the list.

Please tell me how I would go about getting this service or why it wasn't installed?????

Thanks

You would have a file name listener.ora and tnsnames.ora under $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin. Configure them appropriately and start the listener.

BTW, what is your platform? NT/Win2K/Solaris

You can also use netasst on unix and network configration assistant on NT to configure your listener and tnsnames.ora files too.

Good luck,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

In order to start the listener manually, go to DOS or the Unix command line and type:

lsnrctl start

The commands

lsnrctl status
    lsnrctl stop

are also useful.

Good luck.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

I have no listener.ora. I only have a TNSNames.ora in that folder. I searched the entire hard disk to see if it was saved elsewhere I only had a sample one.

Try using the one of the tools I mentioned earlier to configure your listener. Then try starting your listener.

BTW, when you did a custom install, didn't the assistant open the NET8 configuration? It might be a case you might have cancelled it. Don't worry, go ahead and use one of the earlier mentioned tools and configure your listener and then start is as folks mentioned and then try connecting to your instance that you had created. Make sure that the service entry is present in the tnsnames.ora file.

Good luck,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!