DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TNSPING & Listener

That is correct, but the question over here is when you get to remove the listener entry from the listener and bounce the listener, then your ping should just break, isn't it suppose to be the case?

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Hi,

Check your sqlnet.ora file and see if you have TNSNAMES
    in NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH parameter value. If you have it,
    and you are using hostname in tnsping, you will get response
    even if you don't have Oracle instance running on that host.

e.g. if hostname is TEST1 and you run
    tnsping TEST1 from other host
    you will get ping response from that host.

HTH

np70

Sam,
    if the Listener is running on the server for *some other* services and listening on the PORT defined in the TNSNAMES then the TNSPING will succeed in connection. The only thing it tests is the Server Name (or IP) and the PORT number.

So if your Listener was originally listening for 5 databases and you removed one of the databases and bounced the listener, the PING and TNSPING will still work.

TNSPING is just a test to make sure that the listener is running and listening for *some database* on a particular port and not that it is listening for a *particular* database

- Rajeev
    Rajeev Suri

Here is where I got lost:

Extract from Oracle Metalink article : Note:1018169.6

Now what I still don't get is how could tnsping ping a service when it had been removed from the tnsname.ora file. Shouldn't it fail saying

TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

when you had updated the tnsname.ora file. It could have been the case, the owner of this thread had been trying to give the service name which as mentioned by np70 was geting resolved through sqlnet.ora's Names.prefered_server.

But still interested to know from the poster, whether he/she had been able to solve the issue, if so what way?

Sam

Thanx
    Sam

Sorry about the confusion Sam....I completely missed the fact that the user had updated the tnsnames.ora before trying the connection.

If this is true then I find it hard to believe how the connection was made; Without tnsnames.ora where does the PORT number information comes from ???

So back to the original poster of the message...
    Are you sure there is only one tnsnames.ora on your local system (from where you are launching tnsping) not on the server.

One way to test will be rename one of the service names in your tnsnames.ora and try connecting with the NEW name; this will make sure that this is the tnsnames.ora in use.

- Rajeev
    Rajeev Suri

Hi there,

Sorry for being absent from such an interesting thread.

I think I may have misunderstood what was going on with the TNSNAMES and LISTENER files.

I did remove all entries for the deleted database from the TNSNAMES.ORA & LISTENER.ORA on THAT server.

I didn't remove the entry from the TNSNAMES.ORA file on my workstation (where the TNSPING was originating from).

I have done so now, and am getting "Failed to resolve service name".

Can I just clarify with you, does the LISTENER SERVICE just check for ANY database on that PORT regardless of whether it's still mentioned in the LISTENER.ORA file.

Again thanks you for all your responses, it has been very interesting and informative.

Regards

Alison

Originally posted by alison
    Can I just clarify with you, does the LISTENER SERVICE just check for ANY database on that PORT regardless of whether it's still mentioned in the LISTENER.ORA file.
    No, in fact when you execute TNSPING for some service name, what happens is the following:
    1. Your local tnsnames.ora is consulted to get the *address* of that service. By address I mean only the IP address (or hostname) and a port on which the listener listens.
    2. Then a package is send to that address+port
    3. The package is recieved by the listener and a responce is immediately returned to the sender. The listener does not even try to check anything about *any* database. In fact listener need not to have *any* database specified in the listener.ora (SID_DESC entry of the listener.ora), yet it will still return the positive responce to TNSPING.

In short, TNSPING only verifies you are able to reach the listener based on your local TNSNAMES.ORA configuration, nothing more.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thanks very much,

That has clarified the situation.

Many thanks to everyone who has contibuted to this thread.

Regards

Alison

Voilla !!!

Now it all makes sense. Alison, thank you for replying to your posting.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam