DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TNSPING & Listener

Hi there,

I'm having a strange problem with my Listener file,

I have removed a database (files, instance etc.) from a server, I have amended the listener file and stopped and restarted the OracleTNSListener service.

However when I run the command TNSPING (database name) from my workstation I'm still getting a positive response.

Have I missed something???

NT Sever
    Oracle 7.3.3 database.

Many thanks

Alison

Have you updated your tnsnames.ora files too?

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Hi Sam,

Yes the tnsname.ora is also updated.

Cheers

Alison

Do a search for all the tnsnames.ora files, and make sure that they are all up to date. Do you have multiple listeners, if so, make sure that you have modified things there.

If you are sure that you have done the above, try again stoping and starting the listener

lsnrctl stop
    lsnrctl start

Even then if it doesn't fix, since it being windows, it might be some issue on releasing the resources and acquiring it againg, so the solution would be to bounce your server, if you can afford.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Bit of a strange one.

I did all the things you suggested, checked for multiple TNSNAMES and LISTENER files (there are none), and stopped and started the process again using

lsnrctl stop
    lsnrctl start

I then renamed the listener.ora file to listener.bak and low and behold I can still tnsping the database with a positive response.

If you have no more suggestions then I guess I will have to bounce the box

Cheers

Alison

I have just sat down and thought about what I was writing.

The listener.ora file is only read while the listener process is starting, therefor renaming the file after the process has started wont mean anything.

Still stuck with why I'm still getting responses from the database though.

Regards

Alison

The tnsping always checks up the listener for making sure that it could establish the connections. On this case, it some or other finds the connection information, i.e it was looking at your old configurations. This is what I could think on on this regard and know that Windows has all kinds of mistry things in it. As a last resolt, check your sqlnet.ora too.

BTW, check making a connection to the database through the sqlplus and see whether it would go through, it should infact complain you now of not finding the tnsname entry. To see that the listener does not have an entry, check

listener services

If it lists your deleted service as one of its entry, then you can think about bouncing your server. If it doesn't then you can ignore every thing.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

What happen lately?

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

TNSPING doesn't have anything to do with the actual database connecting. It doesn't tell you if the database is up or down or even present. It doesn't try to connect to the database, after all how would it connect as you can't provide any username/PWD when calling it!

What TNSPING does is it only tries to reach (ping) the listener. So it only checks if the listener on the specified machine is up and if it listens to the specified port.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

tnsping only tests if it can PING the server specified in the HOST of your TNSNAMES.ORA and if the PORT specified is listening.

TNSPING is a utility to test that the connection is okay and the port is open; it does not gurantee that the database is up and running.

- Rajeev
    Rajeev Suri