DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Too many sessions - performance issues!

I have a 10GB database with around 30 concurrent users. Using 8.1.6 on NT (Dont laugh!)

With just 15 connected users, i find that there are 150 sessions and the performance has slowed down considerably.
    I just exp/imped from 7.3.4 to 8.1.6.

How can I go about tuning this? When it 7.3.4 I has an acceptable response time.

Do you thing switching to MTS will help?

Nizar

MTS would help you only to multiple connection requests to be served by one server thread. You can set limits on that too. If your config was on a dedicated server mode, I'ld suggest changing to shared server by using MTS. There could be some dead sessions that could hold some time in your case. To get rid off them automatically, use the profile to set some idle time.

For more details on setting up the MTS, refer the sqlnet or Net8 docs. If you have any questions, pleas feel free to ask, we would be glad to help you.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Sam,

Thanks. I can go about changing the server mode from dedicated to MTS.

But I need to decide whether this will solve the problem of excessive sessions.

Thanks,
    Nizar

Hi

look at v$session, there you will find the os user, db user and terminal. this way you will know wich user in wich terminal has created a session. better, when you run
    select ...
    from v$session
    where user_... not in ('SYS'...) sorry i can not help you more but i have no access to a client with sql on it.

any way , this way you can see, for example, if any user is connected more the once.

hope this helps.

Shawish,

I have looked at it and know for sure that the application from each client machine is creating almost 15 sessions.

10 users and the total session is 150. I dont understand why this is happening and how to solve it.

Nizar

Hi Nizar

what sort of application are you running? is it a java application calling the db? are opening a deddicated session for every requset to the database?

Jurij/Shawish,

Yes, there was an application upgrade also. This is a VB driven application for a telecom company handling all their work orders for an entire country (Saudi Arabia).

The applications guys tell me that the upgrade is supposed to better performance. I honestly doubt it.

Well, I am gonna do some more testing to see what is causing these sessions to spawn.

Thanks guys,

Hi Nizar

i talk to a freind and he told me that they had this problem when upgrading from 7.3 to 8.0, but he did not remmember how and why (it was 1.5 years ago). i looked at the metalink and found no reference. i think you better ask oracle support on this one.

Shawish,

I ran some tests on the server and found out that the data hit rate for the block buffers in memory is 55%

This is totally unacceptable. I plan to increase the size of data buffers, but my question for now is:

Most of the sessions which are waiting are a SQL clients waiting for server? Do you think, I might have SQL Net incompatibility problems. Server is 8.1.6, Clients are all 7.3.4.

Thanks,
    Nizar