DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The backup stuff location

Hello, all,

I run oracle 8.1.6 (as target DB) in a Solaris box, and a Recovery Manager DB in a NT server box (8.1.6). I want to use Rman backup target DB in my NT box which is convenient for me to restore to Unix box when media failure happen in Unix box. I used closed, consistent backup, ("shutdown immediate", and "startup mount", then, I first issued connection by "%rman target / catalog userid/pwd@Recoverymanager_databse" , and issued the following job command from Solaris:

run {
    allocate channel ch1 type disk;
    backup database
    sql 'ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT';
    }

And then, I can't find my backup stuff (I want to backup into my NT box). I only found a small file in Solaris box at the path: $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/lknew ('new' is my target DB name). when I open the file "lknew", only one line is inincluded in the file: "DO NOT DELETE THIS FILE".
    My question is:
    1. Where is the backup stuff location?
    2. If I want to backup into my NT box, how can I do that? HOw should I control the backup location?

Any help will be appreciated. My email: gary_wang2000@yahoo.com

Gary

Hi, Gary,
    You can specify the location of your backup file, like

run {
    backup database
    format '/hubdb/hubdb/backups/rman/hubdb_%t_%s_p%p'
    sql 'ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT';
    }

Hopes it helps.

Dragon

Hi, Dragon,

Thanks a lot. It works.

I still have some questions for help, if yoou don't mind.

I issued backup command in my NT box which is the location of the recovery catalog database. When I issued the following commands:

run {
    backup database
    format 'd:\oracle_home\oradata\backups\%U';
    SQL 'ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT';
    }

I got the following message:
    ****************************************************************************
    RMAN-03022: compiling command: backup
    RMAN-03025: performing implicit partial resync of recovery catalog
    RMAN-03023: executing command: partial resync
    RMAN-08003: starting partial resync of recovery catalog
    RMAN-08005: partial resync complete
    RMAN-03023: executing command: backup
    RMAN-08008: channel ch1: starting full datafile backupset
    RMAN-08502: set_count=2 set_stamp=432403106 creation_time=14-JUN-01
    RMAN-08010: channel ch1: specifying datafile(s) in backupset
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00002 name=D:\ORACLE_NT\ORADATA\BACK\RBS01.DBF
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00003 name=D:\ORACLE_NT\ORADATA\BACK\USERS01.DBF
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00001 name=D:\ORACLE_NT\ORADATA\BACK\SYSTEM01.DBF
    RMAN-08011: including current controlfile in backupset
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00004 name=D:\ORACLE_NT\ORADATA\BACK\TEMP01.DBF
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00006 name=D:\ORACLE_NT\ORADATA\BACK\INDX01.DBF
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00005 name=D:\ORACLE_NT\ORADATA\BACK\TOOLS01.DBF
    RMAN-08522: input datafile fno=00007 name=D:\ORACLE_NT\ORADATA\BACK\RMAN01.DBF
    *******************************************************************************

1. It seems to me, I am backuping the catalog database because "BACK" is my catalog database, its files are backuped as input files. But I want to backup the target database files, How to do that? From backup purpose, I should issue backup command from catalog DB site, or target DB site?
    2. From the restore/recovery convenient point of view, What box, and directory is the best to save backup information? for example, in catalog DB site in mu NT box, in $ORACLE_HOME\ORADATA?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Gary