DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: db_file_name_convert for multiple mount point

Hybrid View

Please help on this issue:

db_file_name_convert for multiple mount point

I am working on creating a standby database. The problem I have is how the parameter, db_file_name_convert converting from multiple mount points.

The the datafiles in the primary:
    ------------------------------
    /u02/oradata/dbt2/system01.dbf
    /u03/oradata/dbt2/tools01.dbf
    /u04/oradata/dbt2/rbs01.dbf
    ¡K¡K.

The projected datafiles in the standby is a single mount for the test purpose:

/www/oradata/dbt2/system01.dbf
    /www/oradata/dbt2/ tools01.dbf
    /www/oradata/dbt2/ rbs01.dbf
    ¡K¡K..

db_file_name_convert converts only one mount point to one mount point. I have tried some different format and failed for converting more than one point,

in the init.ora

1)work: db_file_name_convert = ¡§/u02¡¨, ¡§/www¡¨

2)failed: db_file_name_convert = ¡§/u02¡¨, ¡§/www¡¨
    db_file_name_convert = ¡§/u03¡¨, ¡§/www¡¨
    ¡K¡K.
    3)failed: db_file_name_convert = (¡§/u02¡¨, ¡§/www¡¨; ¡§/u03¡¨, ¡§/www¡¨; ¡K..)

4)failed: db_file_name_convert = (¡§/u02¡¨, ¡§/www¡¨ ¡§/u03¡¨, ¡§/www¡¨ ¡K..)

The error for all the failed :
    SVRMGR> startup nomount pfile = /opt/app/oracle/admin/dbt2/pfile/initdbt2.ora
    ORA-01678: parameter db_file_name_convert must be two strings, a pattern and a replacement

that is because the error says "two strings, a pattern and a replacement" but should say "two strings AND ONLY TWO STRINGS, a pattern and a replacement "

you only get one shot at it, as you have discovered.

if your filesystems are not similar --on our primary we have 7 logical file systems and the standby has 2 logical filesystems [*note: not by *my* design ]-- you have to rename the files in the controlfile (normal methodolgy except this is done after ALTER DATABASE MOUNT STANDBY DATABASE ) or as they are added
    ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE 'primaryname' AS 'standbyname';

check out the the oracle white paper on standbys or oracle docs on standby. it alludes to this, but does not actually *tell* you how to do it.

hth, d.