DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: XML storage in 8i - HELP!

Management have asked me for opinions on a proposed solution they're looking at. We currently runs applications built in VB using 8i.
    We are tendering for a new system and the cheapest bid so far is for a confusing XML based application that - get this! - stores the data in flat text files as XML. I presume they mean as text documents/files full of XML tags - like an HTML source code file. (!!!).
    As XML is hierarchical in form it can be handled by 8i's object type storage facilities? Correct?
    Has anyone used, or know of, a successful application using 8i that stores 'normal' and XML data? Any ideas or opinions?

How can I best scare management away from the idea of storing the data in flat text XML format - and not in a relational database (8i)? It's a very cheap bid and if they get sold on the idea then guess who's going to have to make it work?

Help!

John

Cool

Hi!
    Tell them about the security features in Oracle. Tell them all the good things about an RDBMS. Tel them about the benefits of storing everthing in a centralised space. Tell them about online data retrieval requiremnts and any adhoc changes with a database can only handle.
    There Nothing You cannot Do, The problem is HOW.

If management still wants to go ahead with the cheap solution,

You could propose iFS to store the files instead of a regular file system.

Regards
    Gert

You can store XML docs in CLOB datatypes.
    Processing thru JDBC/PLSQL is available.

-amar